This from Jamie Oliver (a distant relation)! who gets more paleo every day….
Serves 6 – 8
4.5lbs bone-in pork shoulder , skin on (crackling yum)
2 red onions halved
2 carrots peeled and halved lengthways
2 sticks of celery chopped in half
1 garlic bulb broken into cloves skin on
1 branch of bay leaves (?!)
1 swig of sherry (and one for the cook – might change it to red wine)
1 pt of water or stock
How to do it:
Turn it up high ( the oven) 220ºC /gas mark 7.
Score the pork skin and fat with cuts 1cm (1/2 inch) apart. Rub in some sea salt season the underside with salt and pepper. Place in the tray and cook for 30 mins or until the skin starts to turn into crackling. Reduce the heat to 180ºC/gas mark 4
Cook for another hour, remove the pork from the oven and leave to rest on a board. Add the vegetables and bay leaves to the tray, stirring into the fat. Place the pork on top, baste with fat and return to the oven for one hour or until tender. If not done, cook for another 30 mins and check again.
When cooked, lift out the pork, cover with tin foil and leave to rest.
Meanwhile spoon any fat out of the tray, mash the vegetables and add sherry, scraping the bottom of the tray. Add the stock, boil then simmer for few minutes til the gravy looks like gravy should! Strain and serve with the pork.
This is a great breakfast, easy and tasty, courtesy of Jamie Oliver:
8 chipolata sausages
8 slices of pancetta
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil
2. Wrap the chipolatas in pancetta and grill under a high heat for 8 – 10 mins: turn every few minutes until golden and cooked right through
3. Bash the dried chilli flakes with a pestle and mortar adding a couple of pinches of sea salt until you have a fine powder.
4. Gently place the eggs into the pan and boil them for five minutes (for a runny yolk)
5. Serve each egg with 2 chipolatas and a good pinch of chilli salt
6. Eat and enjoy!